Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The monk who burned

There were no nerves about me. My hands where steady as they laid neatly folded in my lap. My tanned, bald head was free of perspiration. Peering out of the baby blue car slowly making its way from the busy metropolitan streets, the only thing I contemplate are my persecuted brothers. My anger momentarily flare as I think of the children in that village, although no expression shows up on my worn face. The children were hunted down in the streets and given a sadistic chance to run. Fathers watched, mothers erupted with heart wrenching screams, and siblings found out the nature of our human race. We could not fight back, if we had weapons my brothers wouldn't have used them. Protest didn't work, they were too busy installing fear to notice. No one seemed to care.
                "Well they will after today," I think to myself as I gaze through the smudge car window.  "We're here Thich," my brother said as the car came to a spot in the middle of a crowed streets. Horns blared as myself and three brothers exited the car. Diang walks the length of the car to the trunk and pops it open. Looking around I see angry faces, I hear more horns, and I smelled the stench of the city. A small crowd is starting to form, inquiring curiously about what we meant to do.
                Diang emerges from the trunk, materials in hand. "Are you scarred?" He asked.
                "They've seen us scarred, now they will see us brave."
                 I sat legs crossed in my customary meditation stance. Slowly everything receded into the back ground. I heard no horns, saw no faces, smelled no stench. I waited until I was in complete serenity before I grabbed the gas can Diang sat beside me. Uncapping it, I pour its contents upon my body, still in my own state. "May the world see. May my people be free," I mutter as I strike a match and set myself ablaze. I felt eminence pain. Horrible agony scattered throughout my body, but I do not scream. I sit silently afire. They've heard our screams, no longer will they see our fear.
                As my eyes shut, welcoming death, I see my brothers looking upon me proudly.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment