Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Freewrite 3

Coach Pitzer told me today not to take AP English for a few reasons. The main reason why was because my vocab was no where near where it needed to be. I understand and respect that. I know a lot of words, although I do not how to spell them which keeps me from ever using them in essays. However, as I went back to my seat, slightly deflated, I started to contemplate something. Is the use of high level vocab really a sign of being more intelligence or having literary ability. I know my vocabulary could use a tremendous amount of improvement, but at what point does it become a problem?
    This is how I see it; like it or not, the majority of people aren't smart enough to understand some concepts that require extreme vocabulary to explain. Isn't it a sign of intelligence to be able to explain something difficult in simple terms. To be able to explain the fundamentals of an idea and get your point across simply in a way that's easy to grasp. Being able to explain the complex simply, is more showing of intelligence that being able to understand the complex. Relating this back to what Coach Pitzer told me. Yes, I believe my vocab could use some improvement, but no I will not go to great lengths to use huge or uncommon words. Instead I'm going to keep my common words and refine and improve my ideas and ways of portraying what I need to say in essays. Because that is true intelligence to me. But hey, this maybe just my damaged ego talking right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment